| Lunch along the Avon River |
After lunch, we headed into the city where most of the damage from February's earthquake is. I couldn't get over how detrimental it was to the city and to the people who live here. You hear about natural disasters abroad and you sympathize and you try to help as best as you can, but you truly can't understand how terrible of a disaster it is until you are right there looking at it. It's unbelievable how many buildings were destroyed and how many still need to be taken down. Its crazy how many people lost jobs and it was pretty surreal standing in the streets that are still blocked off 9 months after the quake happened.
| Chapel damaged by the earthquake |
| Block of stores made out of old containers |
GIRLS! I seriously LIVED in the botanic gardens....that place may be one of my favorite places on the planet! I'm so jealous right now, it's not even funny. Oh how I wish i could come visit you all. Sounds amazing - good on ya for embarking on this amazing adventure!
ReplyDelete